Asian Cucumber Salad
Asian Cucumber Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Here’s a trend we’ve wanted to try to recreate
Asian cucumber salad!
- 6 YUZU cucumbers, preferably cut in a unique style (see notes below)
- 2 teaspoons salt (for draining cucumber water)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (or chili paste, adjust to your heat preference)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons green onion (spring onions), finely chopped
Prepare the Cucumbers:
- Wash and slice the cucumbers. If you're going for a unique cut, try the angled cut method:
- Hold the cucumber at one end and angle your knife at approximately 45 degrees to the cucumber's surface.
- Begin to slice the cucumber, but do not cut all the way through. Stop just before you reach the opposite side. (putting chopsticks on either side of the cucumbers is an easy way to cut it fast to stop the knife going all the way through)
- After the initial angled cut, rotate the cucumber slightly (about 1/4 turn, depending on how tight you want the spiral to be).
- Make another angled cut, again not cutting all the way through.
Once you've finished cutting, gently stretch the cucumber. The uncut bases will act as a hinge, allowing the cucumber to expand and display its spiral form.
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a colander, sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons of salt, mix gently, and let them sit for about 30 minutes to drain excess water. This process will also enhance the cucumber's crispiness.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, minced garlic, rice vinegar, chili flakes or paste, sugar, and sesame oil. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
Assemble the Salad:
- After the cucumbers have drained, give them a quick rinse and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess salt.
- Place them in a salad bowl, pour the prepared sauce over, and toss to coat evenly.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Serve & Enjoy:
- Serve immediately as a refreshing side dish or let it marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours for enhanced flavors.
- The unique cut or 'smash' method for the cucumbers not only gives them a distinctive look but also allows them to absorb the sauce better.
- Adjust the heat level to your liking by increasing or decreasing the amount of chili flakes/paste.