Basil & Lemon Cake
Basil & Lemon Cake
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40-50 mins (or until knife comes out clean)
Basil & lemon cake! 🌿🍋
• 180g all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 200g sugar
• zest of 2 lemons
• 180g yoghurt
• 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
• 100g olive oil
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or 1 whole vanilla pod)
• 1/3 cup YUZU’s Genovese Basil
• 50g powdered sugar
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon milk (adjust accordingly)
Oven temperature: 180°C
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a round cake pan or a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub them together with your fingers until fragrant.
- Add the yoghurt, lemon juice, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla extract (or vanilla seeds) to the sugar and lemon zest mixture. Mix well until smooth.
- Gradually fold in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the basil (it's best to tear it up with your hands for best flavour, but chopped is also ok).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (putting parchment paper in the pan first makes it easier to remove the cake later) and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Afterward, transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add a little more milk, a teaspoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, drizzle the glaze over the top. Let it set for a few minutes before serving.